The Quay Regeneration
When Moy Valley Resources was established back in 1990, a priority was addressing local dereliction and bringing disused spaces back into use, starting with the Quay.
History of the Quay
Ballina’s life as a port town began in 1817, and during the early years of the 19th century, trade from the little port of Ballina to other cities on the West coast of Ireland as well as to Scotland and North America began to thrive.
Improvements were made to the area after the setting up, by Act of Parliament, of the Moy Harbour Commissioners in 1860. Initially the Quay front and the enclosure were established.
Later, the Commission oversaw the construction of various sheds and storage areas required for the import and export of cattle, sheep and farm produce.
When the port fell out of use, the buildings gradually fell into disrepair and eventually, dereliction, until in the early 1990s, Moy Valley embarked on a restoration programme, aimed at bringing the units there back into active use.
The Present Day
The Quay, along with Kennedy Glasgow House, is now home to a thriving cluster of small businesses, including a pilates studio, chocolatier, yoga studio, skincare company, beautician, coffee shop, a physiotherapist and more. It also boasts Kennedy Glasgow House, formerly a custom house at the port, and now an exquisitely restored venue available for hire for a myriad of occasions.
In recent years, government investment has also seen access to the water improve with the installation of a new pontoon, and it is now a thriving water activity hub.
Cathedral Road Rejuvenation
The ‘Old Tech’ on Cathedral Road was designed by Rudolph Maximilian Butler (1872-1943) of Merrion Square, Dublin, and represents an integral component of the early twentieth-century built heritage of Ballina.
When the new Moyne College was built, Moy Valley Resources signed a lease with the ETB, and has since invested heavily in maintaining this architecturally significant building, and keeping it in active use, and retaining most of the original materials while doing so.
The Old Tech, which sits alongside St Muredach’s Cathedral, now houses Mayo Volunteer Centre, Craoibhín and a number of small local businesses.
The Cycleau project, funded under INTERREG IIIB – NW Europe, ran from July 2003 to December 2006 and aimed to develop a common, transnational, integrated approach to the planning and management of catchments.
With 13 international project partners, of which Moy Valley Resources was one, the project aimed to share information and look for solutions to problems common to many European rivers, estuaries and coasts. Focusing on the Moy River catchment in Ireland, one of Cycleau’s actions was to raise awareness internationally of the effects of agricultural pollution on shellfish farming.
The project produced a methodology designed to be used as a roadmap by communities wishing to use best practice in environmental management.
Student Enterprise Awards
From 2015 to 2018, Moy Valley Resources partnered with Mayo County Council’s Local Enterprise Office to deliver the Student Enterprise Awards.
The Student Enterprise Programme is a national enterprise competition for students in Ireland, coordinated in Mayo by the Local Enterprise Office, who partnered from 2015-2018 with Moy Valley Resources to work with schools concerning visits, mentoring, receiving business plans, and organising the Mayo local and county finals.
During this time, Mayo enjoyed success at national and county level, with local students Mary and Sarah Murphy from Jesus & Mary Scheondary School, Gortnor Abbey, Crossmolina, even gaining global recognition and sales for their patented ‘Make a Mark’ agricultural sheep marking tool.